Alexander Winton and Jeanette Muir MacGlashan

Alexander Winton (b. 20th June 1860, Falkirk) was the seventh of children of Alexander Winton and Helen Fea. He emigrated to New York and is in the 1880 census for Manhattan, aged twenty.

Alexander's sister, Catherine Winton and her husband, Thomas Henderson, were also in Manhattan at this time. Thomas was some eleven years older than Alexander. Alexander may have followed his sister and brother in law to the US.

His first work was as a machinist with Delameter Ironworks in New York. A year later he left to take up a position as an assistant engineer on a cargo boat plying between New York and South America. He endeavoured to learn as much as he could about steam ship engineering.

He left the sea a couple of years later and married Jeanette Muir McGlashan (b. 3rd September 1861, Glasgow) in Manhattan on 18th January 1883. Jeanette had arrived two years earlier but they had known each other from childhood in Scotland. Jeanette was the daughter of foreman engineer's patternmaker William McGlashan and Jean Muir.

Alexander and Jean moved to Oho and had six children, each of whom had family of their own:

Alexander is listed in a number of trade directories during the 1880s as a machinist. In 1888, he was foreman of the Phoenix Ironworks but was again listed as a machinist, the following year. In 1891, he was superintendent of the Cleveland Lock Company. He opened a bicycle repair shop and this was incorporated as The Winton Bicycle Co in 1892 with a share capital of $25,000. Thomas Henderson, Alexander's brother in law, was President. The share capital was increased to $100,000 in 1897.

This was the very early days of the motor car and Alexander, together with his brother in law, were to have a significant impact. The Winton Motor Carriage Co was incorporated on 15 March 1897 and was very successful.

Alexander and Jeanette had a large mansion called Roseneath, in Lakewood, which was about three miles from Cleveland. Unfortunately, Jeanette went over a 75ft cliff behind the house in the early hours of 28th August 1903. Her body was found in Lake Erie the following morning by Charles Shanks, Alexander's advertising manager and publicist, who had been called to the house by a distraught Alexander.

His mother had come out to Ohio, a few years earlier and was to spend the rest of her life in the US.

Alexander was to remarry, his second wife being Labelle McGlashlan.