Introduction / The Island / Epilogue
After 1947, Faray was rented to the Mainland Brothers, Carness, Orkney.
William Mainland from Rousay was at Carness by 1901 as was Mary Drever from Westray, who was housekeeper. They married later that year and had fourteen children, nine sons and five daughters.
Brothers Herbert and Thomas Mainland, farmed at Greentoft in Eday hence the attraction of the land in Faray when it became available. In addition to Faray, the Mainlands also had the Green Holms and some land on the West Side of Eday.
They probably rented Faray until around 1970.