Introduction / The Island / History and Ownership
The estate of the last James Stewart of Brugh was transferred to the Stewart Endowment, a trust established under instruction of a trust deed and disposition of the deceased dated 14th May 1858 (with a codicile dated 11th June 1858). The transfer of assets took place in 1882.
In the intervening period of administration, there were a number of legal matters that required clarification. The last of the trustees in administration died in on 22nd January 1873, which must have added to the problems in resolving matters.
Lands in Fair Isle (Leogh, Gila, Busta and Shirva) were sold in 1866. During this period from the death of James Stewart of Brugh until the transfer of property to the Stewart Endowment, obligations exceeded income.
When the transfer of assets took place in 1882, it consisted of:
The objects of the trust were essentially of a religious nature, the surplus income over expenditure to be applied as follows:
With regard to the provision of ministry, a number of areas were mentioned. This included Pharay.
While there was an average surplus in the five years to 1921, this had turned to a deficit in the last year. With the trustees now finding income not meeting ordinary expenditure, they found themselves unable to meet the objects of the Endowment and the lands in Firth and St Andrews were subsequently sold.
The lands in Westray were sold in the late 1970s, the Stewart Endowment continuing to own Pharay which was let for sheep grazing.