/ Eday and Papa Westray Grays
/ John Gray
/ John Gray and Ann Spence Sclater
John Gray and Robina Clouston
John Gray (b. 26th July 1859) married Robina Clouston (b. 17th April 1861), a daughter of Joseph Hutton Clouston. Robina was born in Kirkwall, John coming into Kirkwall with his parents, having been born in Sanday.
They lived in the lower part of the town, close to John's parents. At the time of the 1891 census, they were at 15 Bridge St Close, the same address as his parents and in 1901 at 5 Bridge St.
John Gray was a seaman in 1891 but his occupation is given as harbour labourer in 1901. He clearly followed in the occupation of his father and brother, James Gray.
John and Robina had nine children:
- John W Gray (b. 1888) went to Australia. He married and they had two children.
- Mary Ann Gray (b. 1890) who married James Laughton. They had two sons.
- James Gray (b. 1892) emigrated to western Australia. It is thought that he died soon after WWII.
- Robina (Beena) Gray (b. 1896) who married Alexander (Sandy) Watt and had ten children.
- George David Gray (b. 17th May 1897) who married Stella Jessie Sclater. They had two children. George died in Kirkwall on 24th November 1957.
- Robert C Gray (b. 1900) was unfortunately mentally handicapped. He spent most of his adult life in an institution in Edinburgh and died in the 1950s.
- Thomas Gray who married Isabella Towers in Kirkwall and they had two children. He died on 6th December 1956.
- Peter Gray b. 13th October 1894. He unfortunately died in a household accident at the age of two.
- Barbara Gray emigrated to Australia and ran a cafe in Freemantle. She didn't marry and died in the 1960s.
John Gray continued working as a docker in Kirkwall and died on 20th February 1921. Robina Clouston died on 14th May 1931. They are buried in the kirkyard of St Magnus Cathedral with their son, Peter Gray.
John and Robina Gray
In Memory of Their Son Peter
Born 13th October 1894
Died 31st March 1898
The Above, John Gray
Born 26th July 1889,
Died 20th Feb 1921
The Above, Robina Gray
Born17th April 1861
Died 14th May 1931