Thomas Stevenson and Barbara Groat
Thomas Stevenson was born on 21st Feb 1871 at Garth, Westray to Henry Stevenson and Betsy Burgher.
He married Barbara Ann Groat at Barbara’s parents house at Lakequoy, Pharay on 14th June 1900. Barbara (b. 11th September 1873) was a daughter of James Groat and Mary Drummond.
In 1901 they were living with Barbara’s parents and their 2-month old daughter Mary. By 1903 they had settled in Damaquoy, Westray where they raised a large family:
Mary Ann Stevenson, born 9th January 1901 on Pharay; died at Lower Damquoy on 9th May 1966.
- Esther Burgher Stevenson, born 30th January 1902 at Lakequoy. Esther married John (Jack) Flett (b. 5th January 1902, Govan) in Perth Australia on 17th November 1928. They had four children. Esther died in Perth on 2nd August 1978 and Jack on 8th April 1970.
- Henry Stevenson, born 19th September 1903 at Lower Damaquoy who married Wilhelmina Garson (b. 1909) on 25th November 1932 and farmed in Evie.
- James Groat Stevenson, born 21st September 1905 who married Mary Nicolson (b. 1907) on 20th April 1936. They had a son. James died on 8th February 1991 and Mary on 26th May 1991. James was a farm labourer.
- Thomas Stevenson, born 1907 who married Annabella Moar Stanger in 1953.
- John Robert Stevenson, born 1909 who married Margaret Fergus in 1942.
- William Allan Stevenson, born 1910 who married Mary Sinclair Firth in 1932.
- Betsy Burgher Stevenson, born 1913 who married Duncan Sinclair Manson on 3rd May 1941. Duncan was a marine engineer. Duncan died on 16th October 1969 and Betsy on 19th September 1981.
- George Bain Stevenson, born 1915. George was a postman and worked as a roadman for the County Council. He died in Pierowall on 12th January 1996.
Thomas died at Damaquoy on 16th September 1939 at the age sixty eight and Barbara on 2nd March 1945, aged seventy one.