Introduction / Houses
The Ness is the most southerly of the houses on Pharay and was constructed at sometime between 1841 and 1851. This was at the time of the planking and the end of the old run-rig system of agriculture.
The Ness is very much associated with the Drummond and Wallace families right up until the last people leaving the island in 1947. It was in fact the last house to be occupied.
By 1861, there were two households at the Ness as John Drummond’s son, William Drummond was also there with a wife and family.
William Drummond married twice and a stepson, William Wallace (son of his second wife), was the last person to close the door.