/ Westray Grays
/ George Gray and Margaret Seatter
/ George Gray and Jean Reid
/ Robert Gray and Christian Harcus
/ George Gray and Ann Thomson
Ann Gray and Robert Traill Harcus
Ann Gray was the fourth known child born to George Gray and Ann Thomson, baptized on Westray 3rd June 1840. On 21st July 1863, in Leith, she married Robert Traill Harcus, born 27th September 1839 on Papa Westray to George Harcus and Jean Harcus. Ann and Robert had nine known children, the oldest of whom was born at Brandies, Westray and the rest of whom were born in Leith:
- Robert Harcus, b. 31st July 1859. In 1861 he was living with his mother and maternal grandparents at Brandies, Westray. In 1871 he was in merchant service, age 11, aboard the ship "Vigilant". No other information has been found about him, and it is not known what became of him.
- George Harcus, b. 2nd Dec 1865. He was a mechanical or marine engineer in Leith. He died in Edinburgh, 25th June 1907, unmarried, age 41.
- John Harcus, b. 6th Dec 1867. He drowned as an apprentice aboard the ship "Dunalistair", 11th Oct 1884, age 16, and is buried in Calcutta, India.
- David Hewison Harcus, b. 27th Aug 1870 and m. 29th June 1900 Isabella Anderson Wilson. She was born in 1874, daughter of William Wilson and Janet Anderson. David and Isabella had two children. David was a master draper in Leith, and died 12th June 1937, age 64, in Edinburgh. His death was reported by his brother-in-law.
- Ann Harcus, b. 31 July 1872 and d. 1873, age 1
- Alfred Harcus, b. 26th Sep 1873 and m. 3rd June 1898, Caroline Louisa Wilson, daughter of Thomas Wilson and Euphemia Basey, born about 1874. Alfred was a bookkeeper, and later the manager of a wire merchant. He died in Leith, 31st May 1935, age 62. He and Caroline had family.
- Jane Harcus, b. 6th Aug 1876, d. 1877
- Joseph Harcus, b. 24th Nov 1877, d. 1878
- Mary Hutchison Harcus, b. Aug 1879, d. 16th Sep 1879, age 4 weeks
Robert was a master mariner, probably over 40 years. The 1901 census records him aboard the ship "Orient", at the time docked at Dundee. He had retired by 1907. The family lived in Leith, and at least by 1900 they were living on Summerfield Place with son George. Ann died 22nd December 1910, at Summerfield Place, age 71, and Robert died there 2nd June 1919, age 79.