Introduction / Houses
Doggerboat is the third house from the north end of Pharay, lying between Cott and the School. One family occupied it probably for as long as the same family has occupied any house on the island. This was the Harcus family.
However the tenant at the time of the 1810 rental was David Hourston. There were certainly Hourston children born to David Hourston and Christian Drever in the 1790s. They are thought to have left for Eday shortly after this.
The Harcus link to Doggerboat came with James Harcus and his wife Marion Allan from Westray. The parish of baptism of their children suggests that they moved as some time between 1806 and 1809/10 although non appearance in the 1810 rental may suggest the end of this period. Marion Harcus does appear at Doggerboat in the first census in 1841, when her age is given as seventy five.
The number of Harcus households at Doggerboat varied with the censuses and the new generations:
There is a story in respect of how Doggerboat got its name.