Introduction / Houses
Cott lies in the north end of Pharay, between Quoy (the most northerly house) and Doggerboat. There have been quite a number of different families there over the years although the Burgars were there as long as any.
By the first census in 1841, Cott was occupied by Stewart Drummond and his wife, Jean Drever. They moved to Holland, down towards the south end of the island, between 1851 and 1861.
There were in fact two households at Cott in 1851, the other being that of Thomas Burgar and Elizabeth Seatter. They came from Westray around 1850. It is not known if there was any connection between the Burgars and the Drummonds who were already at Cott. There were to be Burgars at Cott for the next sixty five years with the subsequent generations:
During the time that the Burgars were at Cott, there was also a Harcus household. Elizabeth Harcus’s brother, William Harcus was there at the time of the 1861 census with his wife, Elizabeth Allan. He died at the age of forty three but his widow remained at Cott until after the 1881 census with members of their family.
Following the Burgars leaving in 1915, there were subsequently a number of tenants of relatively short duration until the last left the island in 1947: