Introduction / Houses
Windywa lies in the southern half of the island to the north of Holland, a little distance west of the road. Lakequoy (indicated on the map but not named) lies to the north by the road and Hammar to the north of that.
The rental of 1810 shows William Sinclair as tenant. The Sinclairs were one of the early families recorded on the island. This William Sinclair may have been the father of Robert Sinclair who was at Windywa at the time of the first census in 1841. Robert subsequently moved to Green in Eday.
Robert Sinclair’s son, William Sinclair, appears at Windwa with his wife Mary Groat in 1841 and 1851.
Although there were Sinclairs at Windywa in the early part of the 19th century, it is very much associated with the Drever family. John Drever with his wife and family formed another household at Windywa in 1851 and the Drever name continued to be associated with it until 1927.
It continued with descendants of John Drever and Barbara Groat:
Balfour Rendall moved into Windywa at the end of 1927 or the early days of 1928. Although born in Westray, he came from the south end of Eday. The Rendall family remained at Windywa until the people left the island in 1947. A daughter was one of the last two children to attend the Pharay School.